Declaring a place of residence: why it’s necessary and how to do it

Foreigners who settle in Vilnius must declare their place of residence. This gives them the right to receive public services, social support and benefits. Though declaring your place of residence may seem like a complicated process, it is actually quite simple and straightforward.



Visit the Migration Department or Eldership 

There are two places you can declare your place of residence in Vilnius: The Migration Department (including IHV) when applying for a Lithuanian residence permit, or your Eldership after a residence permit has been granted. 

If you choose to declare your place of residence at the Migration Department, you will have to provide information about your residence in Vilnius when filling in the application for a permit. In this case, you are not required to complete a separate declaration for your place of residence. The documents can be submitted in person or online via the Lithuanian Migration Information System (MIGRIS). 

If you decide to declare your place of residence at the Eldership, you will first need to obtain a Lithuanian residence permit, which is provided by the Migration Department. After receiving your Lithuanian residence permit, you can visit your Eldership to declare your place of residence in person or do it remotely.  

You can determine which Eldership your home is located in using the Eldership Map at: www.vilnius.lt/seniunijos.  

Residence declarations are submitted individually, i.e. you can only declare the place of residence for another person if that person is declared to be a minor under the responsibility of the person completing the application, or such a person is the legal guardian of that child. 

Declaring residence as a renter or owner 

Residence can be declared for a property you own as well as a rented accommodation. However, in the latter case, you will require both a lease agreement and the consent of the lessor. Moreover, the process may also require greater involvement on behalf of the lessor in declaring your place of residence. 

If you want to declare your residence in a rented home and have a lease agreement and the lessor’s consent to live in that dwelling certified by a notary or an elder, it is easy to declare your residence electronically.  

If you do not have this consent, or it is not certified by a notary or eldership, it may be easier to declare your place of residence in person, as the lessor must come to the Eldership with you. The same requirement applies for a declaration of residence at the Migration Department. 

If you are declaring your own home as your place of residence, you only need to fill in and sign the place of residence declaration form, and submit copies of your passport and residence permit in Lithuania. You must submit all these documents to your Eldership (in person or by e-mail) or to the Migration Department. 

Konstitucijos pr. 3, groundfloor, Vilnius LT-09307 Lithuania[email protected]+370 614 79 283