If you have a driving licence issued in an EU or EEA (European Economic Area) country, you can drive in Lithuania with it. However, the validity of driving licences issued by third countries depends on whether they comply with international conventions, such as the Geneva and Vienna Road traffic conventions (Geneva Convention and Vienna Convention). If a driving licence does not meet these requirements, an international driving licence is required in addition to the national driving licence. If you have any questions, consult Regitra specialists at [email protected] or calling +370 5 210 5164. 

A driving licence issued in the Member States of the European Union (EU) or in the countries of the European Economic Area (EEA) has the same value as Lithuanian one. Thus, if you have resided in one of these countries for some time and hold a valid driving licence issued in that country, you can also use it when driving in Lithuania. 

It must be observed that there is no need to pass extra tests in order to exchange driving licences that were issued in the Member States of the EU and in the countries of the EEA. 

If you become a permanent resident of Lithuania, you should exchange your driving license for a Lithuanian one. To be considered a permanent resident, you must have employment and/or personal ties with Lithuania and must live here for at least 185 days per calendar year. 


For more information please visit: All about driving in Lithuania | International House Vilnius (ihvilnius.lt) or Driving Licences | REGITRA.

You can drive a car registered in a European Union (EU) country in Lithuania for 180 days per calendar year, or 90 days per calendar year if it is registered in a third country. If you come to Lithuania for tourist purposes with a car registered abroad, you do not need to register it in Lithuania and you can use it in public traffic. 

If you have arrived for permanent residence in Lithuania, you must register your car here. You must have a declared place of residence. If you do not have one and you are not listed in the register of undeclared residents, then you can only register the vehicle in your name temporarily, for a period of 6 months, by presenting a document confirming your address – this can be a document issued by the Centre of Registers on the ownership or lease of the car in Lithuania, or a written consent from the person who has declared his/her place of residence that his/her address will be used for the registration. 
For more information please visit: All about driving in Lithuania | International House Vilnius (ihvilnius.lt).

Konstitucijos pr. 3, groundfloor, Vilnius LT-09307 Lithuania[email protected]+370 614 79 283